Mara's Classics; 1 Year and Counting πŸŒŸπŸ’™

Image
"Pass through the school, and let the school pass through you." These were the words that started me off on a long, really long journey in my writing career. You see, I've been writing before, since I picked up a notebook as a little girl and scrawled, "Adanna the stubborn girl." Time flew by and I was already writing factious history on African colonization. Then... I got admission to study in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. At first, I thought, this is the end of my writing career, but I was inspired by my Muse Giver to "write, write, write!" Here I am, one year later, writing. It's been a beautiful journey. It began on Feb 16, with...! TWELVE DAYS TO VALENTINE Read It was Valentine. My sis wanted us to celebrate so she dragged me (literally) to a Valentine Music Special. It was what I needed to breathe life to my Muse. Twelve Days to Valentine was inspired by the university culture which I was still new to. I loved the environment and kep

CHOCOLATE & MILK 🍫πŸ₯› Episode 1: Anonymous Night


Anonymous night is a home name among students in the University of Nigeria Nsukka. It's a night when students get to unleash their thoughts, nice or deadly, in a platform that protects their identify. It's a cherished tradition and always promises the juiciest gossips, the darkest gists and the most lethal insults.

If you have haters, Anonymous night doesn't promise you a good time. Besides people getting dragged, others also get secret admirers, love texts and, rarely, encouraging texts.

The outcome of one anonymous night could mean the beginning or end of a student's public image in his class.

Anonymous night is a night of glee, of pain, of judgement.

Jude pondered this as he clicked on the Linguistics 025 group chat and sent the message that sent ripples down everyone's spines.

"Write a secret anonymous message for LIN 025 πŸ˜‰ We won't know who wrote it πŸ˜‚❤️πŸ‘‰

https://gsgs.abc/lin025"

The group reacted to his post and went silent. Jude smiled and went to the website to view the very first anonymous message of Lin025.

"Message from the Lord of Unnecessary Vawulence. May vawulence reign! πŸ’€"

He laughed. That's all they thought of, "vawulence." He checked the timing of the message. The person had sent it the minute he had sent the anonymous link. He held his chin and shook his head.

"Chai," he exclaimed, "if only they could finish assignments before deadlines like this."

He laughed suddenly at the streams of messages that entered his phone.

"Make I just say, hi!"

"Echo! πŸ‘€"

"That man wey dey teach us GS, no laugh but him resemble ewu."

"I boast of being a sharp shooter, but whenever I lay eyes on you, Natasha, I miss my shot. You're drop dead gorgeous."

"Natasha, can we date?"

"Our class rep is goddamn cute. I'm crushing."

"Jude, no come steal my babe. I fit kill for am."

Jude did his duty of supplying screenshots of the messages to his course mates. Then the reactions rolled in.

Kenny: πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ who dey find carryover for Mr Okafor's course?

PerkyπŸ€“: Natasha is the first to get a secret admirer. Congratulations, baby ❣️

Emma: Drop dead? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

TitiπŸ™ƒ: Jude, run oh! 🀣

Jude posted his reactions and went back to get his newest messages. He skimmed through them; they were getting numerous. Some were funny, others irritating and a few dark. Someone had actually sent;

"I used to believe in chastity until I set eyes on you, Linny."

Then another;

"I wanna get in bed with Diana. Damn, cute bitch!"

"Children of God," Jude thought with a look of mock surprise. There were other toxic messages but he skipped them for the funny ones. Someone actually sent;

"Jude, no vex. Why you like to dey walk like plantain wey dey overripe?"

He laughed and sent more to the group. He didn't censor any message. It was the right of the class to see the raw thoughts of their fellow course mates. Although, if he could, he would omit the messages about him and Dinah in a relationship.

"Be yourself, everyone. There's 'u' in Unique. Perky cares ❤️"

Jude smiled. Perky had broken the rule of anonymity. Did she get the essence of anonymous night?

A mischievously fella taught her a lesson; "Perky, girl to girl, that smelly sponge is not a wig. Buy a new one and let the people sitting near you breathe!"

Jude laughed, and so did all of 025 when they saw the message. They tagged Perky for a reaction but she simply posted, "What a considerate message. Thanks to whoever sent it 😊"

Many didn't like the reply. For goodness sake, fight vawulence with vawulence!

"Mmeso, I admire you but your accent is so fake it makes me sick. Be proud of the village girl you are."

This message received a loud reaction of laughter. Mmeso simply posted, "Haters everywhere πŸ₯±."

"Jude, I love you. Leave Dinah alone. Let's date!"

More laughter.

"Someone tell Natasha to look my way. Why's she so hard to get? πŸ₯Ί"

In response to this anonymous, Emma tagged her contact and sent it with a message, "She's a dm away. Be a man."

"God forbid! Homos in 025! Thunder!"

Laughter.

"I wanna be alone with Dinah, so I can show her the shape of my heart."

Jude reacted to this with a facepalm emoji. Everyone else laughed while Dinah simply sent, "Jesus πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚"

At a point, Jude stopped reading the messages and just sent them to the group chat as they came in their numbers. It was getting late and his body began to ache from the day's stress. He reminded the class of the time limit and at the stroke of 11, he stopped receiving messages.

He relaxed a little after sending the last screenshot and read his schedule for tomorrow. It was pinned on a board above his study desk. At the other end of the room slept Cheta, his roommate. Jude wondered if his bouts of laughter had disturbed him.

Jude's iphone revved and Jude went to his group chat which was screaming with messages. Texts like, "Hian!" and "Who is this evil person? Jude did nothing wrong!" greeted his eyes. They all tagged a certain anonymous post. Jude clicked on the purple screenshot and read the message.

"Jude, you have messed with me for the last time! I'll show you how I treat fools like you! I'll frustrate you, that I promise. I'll go to any extent to make you miserable. You'll see the dangerous demon in me soon. Nothing will save you from my wrath!"

Jude stared askance and reflexively checked his memory for anyone he had offended.

He ignored his course mates' reactions when Dinah showed up in his DM.

"Do you know who it is?" she asked.

Jude took a deep breath and replied, "No."

Her next message left Jude more fearful than he had ever been before.

"Be careful."


To be continued.

Comments

Post a Comment

Don't leave without a comment πŸ₯Ί

People also enjoyed...

Dear Me πŸ’–✨✨

DIARY OF A JACKSONITE πŸ’™πŸ–€ Anastasia πŸ’œ

BATTLE OF AUTHORS πŸ—‘️✒️ Contestant #4; Evergreen