AREA '61 Epilogue

 Epilogue 

"Every den has its shadows. When the sun shines and the lamppostss blink to life at night, you can't see it. But if you look close enough, you catch a glimpse of it flitting from corner to edge.

"UNN has a cult, or so I thought. I set out to unravel this mystery but I was really just seeking an adventure different from my everyday life. I was chasing a legacy that would hide me from the fears that haunt me daily. Fears of being alone, not wanted and silly.

Are '61 was the red tag on my map. It made me shudder just to think of all the scandals I could unearth or forge. I set out to find what wasn't looking for me. Did I find it? No, but I found something better.

I found that the world is not as dark and dreary as I thought. I found that people can be trusted. I found that the world is so full of different personalities and to survive in it, we must be tolerant. I found that sometimes, the answer to our questions are the questions themselves. I found that Pharmacy isn't a faculty of snobs. I found that pretty girls named Edna are worth having as friends. I found that Jordan isn't a jerk; he's an idiot. I found that "little things" with infectious smiles and trustful hearts are rare, and that we need more of them. I found that sometimes, a legacy can be a small achievement too, like making someone smile, being someone's comfort and encouraging someone to believe in herself no matter what. Thanks to Area '61, I found a friend, more precious than the discovery of any secret cult and one that I will cherish for a lifetime. (P.S, Cathy must never read this.)"

"Hiii! I knew I'd find you here." Cathy beamed and sat beside Nonye at the quadrangle.

"Penguin," Nonye teased as she smiled back. 

"How are you? Have you eaten? How was your first class of the second semester? Did you enjoy it?"

"Cathy!" Nonye snapped and Cathy folded her lips and gazed at Nonye who added, "You're disturbing my flow of thoughts."

"Oh. Area '61." Cathy had a tinge of jealousy in her voice.

"Today's my deadline."

"I'm sorry you couldn't find it and meet up with your deadline," Cathy said sincerely.

"Actually, I did," Nonye said and handed her her phone.

"Area 1961; a cult or a culture?" Cathy read the title and humphed impressively. "Awwwn, you dedicated it to me!" Cathy squealed and grabbed Nonye in a hug.

"Just read it," Nonye snapped and pushed Cathy away. She grinned though. She played with her fingers as Cathy focused on the write-up. She began to sweat when Cathy didn't give any gestures or sounds of approbation. Was the write-up bad? She held her breath when Cathy looked up from the screen with an expressionless gaze.

"Well?" Nonye asked nervously. She was regretting ever sharing her feature with another person. She prepared herself for the worst or an average commendation when Cathy grabbed her shoulders and stared into her eyes.

"Did you really write that?"

"Yeah. Why?" Nonye was beginning to feel the butterflies.

 "It's the most beautiful feature I've ever read! It makes me love newspapers, and I hate newspapers!" Cathy screamed and bounced on her seat excitedly. Nonye giggled and looked with glee as surprised stares flew in their direction.

"We should publish it," Cathy whispered suddenly and Nonye's stomach did a flip. "My friend's sister is the current head of the Muse magazine. Then we can put it up on the SUG magazine. And all the magazines in UNN!"

"It's that good?"

"Hell, yeah! You're too good. We're publishing it and I'm not seeing you shying away like a chicken," Cathy declared with authority.

Nonye laughed and said, "Sure. We'll publish it, together."

Cathy startled, smiled and placed a hand on Nonye's. Nonye held it and smiled back. Together, they thought.



THE END

Thank you so much for reading ❤️

I hope I was able to touch your heart, make you smile and keep you entertained.


Credits

Felicia (Nonye)

Kay Bella (Cathy)

Ifesinachi Precious (Amiga)

Favour Chidinma and Blessinggg (photographers)

Thank you for making Area '61 a dream come to life ❤️

Also, this was fun!

Comments

Post a Comment

Don't leave without a comment 🥺

People also enjoyed...

Dear Me 💖✨✨

DIARY OF A JACKSONITE 💙🖤 Anastasia 💜

BATTLE OF AUTHORS 🗡️✒️ Contestant #4; Evergreen